Hoarding is a mental disorder that affects millions of Americans each day. Common hoarding behaviors create unsafe and unsanitary living conditions in the home that threaten the health and safety of those who hoard and their families. Hoarders allow their homes to become cluttered because the anxiety associated with hoarding disorder makes them unable to throw anything away. Therefore, the hoard of items continues to grow which can severely restrict access within the home, elevate the risk of a fire, and create the right conditions for mold, bacteria, and other dangerous substances. ServiceMaster Restoration by Complete provides hoarding cleaning services in Franklin Township, NJ and the surrounding communities of Middlesex and Somerset counties to help clean and restore the homes for those who hoard. Our technicians start by reaching out and making a personal connection with the individual, and then create and implement a thorough cleaning plan with their assistance.
Those who struggle with hoarding are unlikely to reach out for cleaning services because they may not recognize the problem or feel too embarrassed about the clutter in their home. If you are close to someone who struggles with hoarding, reach out to the individual to discuss these issues. Hoarders will collect anything in their homes from newspapers to large appliances and they will let the items pile up to dangerous levels. If you reach out to a hoarder before the hoard of items gets out of hand, you can help the individual see the danger in their behaviors and decide to have their home cleaned before the living conditions become dangerous or unsanitary. At ServiceMaster Restoration by Complete, we are ready to handle the most extreme cases of hoarding with our advanced cleaning products and equipment. We will clear out the unwanted hoarded items and make sure the entire home is cleaned and sanitized to remove any hazardous substances.
You can expect the following basic steps with our hoarding cleaning services:
- Saving of valuable items like money, jewelry, and other keepsakes
- Total removal of unwanted hoarded items
- All unwanted items are either disposed of, recycled, or donated
- Certain kept items are given to friends and family members
- We help complete paperwork from lawyers, trusts, and government agencies
3 Phase Approach to Hoarding Cleaning
Those affected by hoarding may have a difficult time dealing with the cleaning process. We try to help make the experience better for the affected individual by establishing a feeling of mutual respect and including them in every step of the process. Our hoarding cleaning services are divided into these three phases:
Phase 1: Building a Personal Connection
- We try to determine the scope of the problem before stepping foot in the home.
- We talk to the individual and their family about cleaning and restoring the home to safe living conditions. At this point, we will recommend the help of a counseling professional if needed.
- We only proceed with our services once we get the approval from the affected individual.
Phase 2: Creating a Cleaning Plan
- We sit down with the individual and their family to create a comprehensive cleaning plan.
- Once the unwanted items are removed, we will clean and reorganize the leftover items.
- We can help throw away, donate, or recycle unwanted items, but the ultimate decision is given to the affected individual.
Phase 3: Follow Up
- A follow up cleaning plan is formed to help the individual continue to keep a clean home.
- We will call the individual to see if they are keeping their home clean. Our technicians are ready to return to the home for additional services if needed.
Hoarding behaviors can very quickly create a dangerous situation in a home, so if you know someone who struggles with hoarding, do not hesitate to reach out to them. Our technicians at ServiceMaster Restoration by Complete have advanced cleaning equipment and products to fully clean and sanitize the home and we will keep the affected individual involved through each step of the process. You can call us anytime at (732) 840-3570 for hoarding cleaning services in Franklin Township, NJ and the surrounding areas in Middlesex and Somerset counties.